kelli stephens is an on-location, utah photographer, specializing in child photography.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

PHOTO TIP of the WEEK!....finally

sorry i didn't post a photo tip last week. i meant to and then, well just didn't. i was in california, so there's my excuse.

last time i talked about aperture. so this week we'll talk about ISO and shutter speed. {most of my tips aren't going to be this long/technical or in sequence.}

ISO is the equivalent to film speed on a film camera. it determines how fast your image will be captured by the film or digital sensor.
the higher the ISO the quicker the image will be captured and less light is required and vice-versa.

most beginner slr's go up to about a 1600 ISO. your ISO setting will depend on your lighting situation. indoors and in low light situations you will need around your highest setting. for sunny outdoor situations you would use your lowest possible setting.

it's very important to note that the higher your ISO goes, the grainier your picture will be. that's the tricky part. so in my case i prefer using the lowest ISO possible to prevent too much grain. but if you don't mind grain, then help yourself!

shutter speed is how quickly your shutter operates. a faster shutter speed will freeze subjects while a slower shutter speed will blur objects.

so turn your dial over to shutter speed priority {it is probably an S or Tv and don't worry about aperture, the camera will take care of that for you. if you're indoors, bump up your ISO to about 800 to 1600, as needed.}

ok, turn on your faucet. something needs to obstruct the stream of water so it causes a little splash. set your shutter speed to 1/80th of a second {indicated on your camera as 80.} take the picture.

now switch your shutter speed to 1/1000th of a second. {indicated as 1000} and take the picture again.
now compare your results!

if you like the tips, let me know. i like a good pat on the back. haha, is that too honest? :)

4 comments:

B-Blogit said...

i love the tips this one was good, gave some good info and was short and sweet which I like.

Molly Rivera said...

I love your tips.
So here is a question. When I'm using aperture setting, it will automatically set the shutter speed and ISO to the settings they should be at, so then when would I want to, or need to set them myself. I know I would maybe want to set shutter speed if I was shooting water, but would there be any other reason to manually set shutter speed and ISO. I don't even know if that made sense.

Kelli said...

molly, i think i understand your question, but i'm not positive, so i'll take a shot.
first of all, when you are in shutter priority it will not set your iso. you will need to set that manually no matter what.
you would want to be in shutter priority if you are shooting something that is moving, i.e. a race, moving cars. but i would recommend staying in aperture priority for everything else.
did that help?

Jenn said...

I love the tips of the week! I am trying to learn more about the technical side of photography, but it always seems over my head. Thanks for the simple tips that help lead me to better understanding. I look forward to the next one!!