kelli stephens is an on-location, utah photographer, specializing in child photography.

Monday, April 13, 2009

photography: writing with light

i am reading the coolest book called "eye on art" {the photography edition} by stuart a. kallen. my dad actually found it for me for like $3 and i've been loving it. it's kind of refreshing because it's all about the artistic side of photography, putting the technical stuff aside. sometimes i feel like, as a photographer, we get caught up in the technical jargin and "rules" of photography and forget why we're really doing it. yes technicalities matter, but it's the impressions and emotions we capture that are what people recognize and appreciate most, i think.
while explaining art as a whole, the back of the book reads: "the creative impulse is an ancient and enduring feature of human expression. art serves many purposes: to beautify, record, reflect, enlighten and celebrate our existence." i love that explanation! isn't it perfect?! that is exactly what drew me to photography in the first place.

so a challenge: while taking pictures this week, try not to get mixed up in the settings of your camera or equipment, but focus on your "artistic impulse." what drives your photographs, or even you as a photographer? what is the point to your photos? do you recognize yourself as an artist?
these are questions i'm asking myself, so i thought i'd throw them out there.
i'd like to know your thoughts, experiences and outcomes. let's talk!

3 comments:

The Riv's Ride said...

Sounds like a great book! I think your work is very artistic. Great tips too. Thnx

Brittney said...

So I actually read this post awhile ago but never had the time to comment. What a fun post! I'll have to find that book. I agree with you though. There is more to photography then getting a perfect exposure. I think it's important to master, of atleast be very comfortable with the basics but there is so much more to a stunning photograph. I like how photography gives you the chance to record moments. It fun because you have the chance to record that moment in so many different ways. So why not get a little creative? Am I rambling now? I think so. I'll stop.

Cristy said...

Kelli, you are the definition of an artist!